Sunday 22 May 2016

River carping

It's been some time since I last blogged and I do apologise for my absence, I have been fishing which I will tell you about later on in this post but I've been rather busy with making fishing rakes which I never thought would sell as many as I have.

Such a simple design but it takes me quite a few man hours to get right and that's what has been taking up all my time,  I did have a job as an engineer but work ran out so last in first out, now I am working for an office in Croydon as a service person which is really good and I love working in a team. I can still get my rakes made at my last job so all is not lost.
The design has changed just a bit only so I can make them easier the sizes have changed as well the larger rake ("G") is 250mm instead of 300mm same size box section but thicker wall making it slightly heavier  but still a good weight and the spikes are slightly smaller at 50mm, plus there's a new type rake called Mini"G" which is 125mm long same size box section as the big one with 30mm spikes but only weighs 15oz so it will be perfect for clearing small spots close in and making a minimal disturbance check out the link to my Facebook page to see prices and more info. 

                              
                                                                   The"G"Rake & Mini"G"
                                             https://www.facebook.com/TheGudgeonsGadgets 


                                                                  My first swim


Right that's that out the way lets get down to fishing at the moment and for the foreseeable future I will be fishing the river wey and wey navi canal in Surrey which is full of surprises, it's also quite deep and scary so care has to be taken when fishing, there are plenty of underwater snags so I don't want to be losing end tackle for fear of harming the wildlife. Along one side of this river are trees and the other side there are houses, now as my capacity as a top specimen hunter (LOOOOL) i have concluded that tree roots are a problem but this is where the fish like to hang out so its down to me and my expert fishing skills to extract said fish from hiding hole, but I have a plan which I'll tell you about later.

I did spend a lot of time last season on the river and have had some success in the shape of  two 15lb common carp, one of these fish was a right old warrior and the other was a bit of a state due to spawning I think, but they were different fish despite them being the same weight. The downfall of these two was white pop ups but it was a sight thing rather than smell as the river is about 7ft deep with a bit of colour in the water.
I have three swims going at the moment one is the bridge swim another one has a lovely shallow gravel run in the middle of the river which deepens either side so I have been putting bait down the edge a sprinkling of boilies and pellets on top of the feature. The last swim has a deep glide along the inside with overhanging branches and bushes which just screams fish. The soil along this stretch is very soft and hollow I've had to learn to keep the noise down to a minimum but other people could do with doing the same and keeping a low profile when approaching me for a chat. I'm getting to point in my fishing where I want to be left alone but I'm not rude and will entertain most people if approached in the right way and manner. I know that might sound a bit selfish but my fishing time is for me to get away from it all, It's my hard work that i put in every weekend to bait up and do a bit of gardening in the swims. Would you get upset for someone to come crashing along the bank and talk loudly while standing with their shadow over the water after all the hard work you have put in to get this fish feeding on your spots!!  It's lovely when it is just me and the wildlife I'm one with nature and the rich housewife sunbathing in her back garden, If I want a social I will go with my brother and friends now that's a different story altogether!!!!


RIGS.............
This is a subject that can drive you crazy with all the new end tackle flooding the market from the likes of Korda, Nash, Avid, ESP, some of the stuff I believe is just gimmicky but a lot of the products are great bits of kit.That's how I've got to my rigs today after watching all the DVD's and reading the magazines I have taken a bit from all these great sources of information and come up with what I think are the rigs that will catch me the fish I want in all situations.

Number one the supple rig just as the name says uncoated braided hook link material 8" in length size 8 or 6 nash fang twister hook tied knotless knot style with the hair held in place with a small piece of silicon rubber and a couple of small pieces of tungsten putty to pin it all down.

My second rig is the chod rig I don't need to say anything about this rig that you don't already know.

My 3rd rig of choice is the multi-rig made popular by Julian Cundiff I shouldn't have to tell you anything about this rig either as it's been all over the fishing media lately and has caught loads of very big fish, that's my rigs I'll be using from now on, whether it be on a lake or river.


                                   
                                                      The second swim is so cool but snaggy

                                       
                                                                        swim three


                                                             My first river carp 15lb 4oz


                                                                    Been in the wars

Now those of you who like their gadgets then this DEEPER FISH FINDER is a bit of gadgetry you need to get your hands on and what a piece of kit it is, they have brought out two more version which needs to be checked out, the two newer version are for longer distances (wifi) and use for deeper water, the basic one I've got is connected via Bluetooth and has a range of about 50 yards perfect for the fishing I'm doing, it also tells you what the temperature is and when there's a fish and shows you weed and obstructions all beamed back to your iPhone or android phone, it also records your work so you can go back over it to see what is happening down in the deep. I have use mine quite a bit and to say it's helped is an understatement, only beeping at me when the water shallows up or there is fish about. I have run the deeper fish finder over my spots and on a couple of occasions it's bleeped at me to let me know there are fish over my baited area, that's got me buzzing and excited to know they are eating my grub, can't wait until the 16th June!!!!!!!!!!!!


                                    
                                                                   What a piece of kit!!!


                                                                    All the info you need
Bait
I'm using crave boilies by Terry Hearn (Dynamite Baits) these are ready made as I don't have a lot of room for another freezer so I needed something I could just store in my fishing cupboard and not have to worry about too much, these baits are so soft and the smell is great plus I will use them for my barbell fishing and chub come to think about it. I am mixing 18mm/15mm crave boilies and about five different sizes of pellets 30/70 with the bulk being pellet and will change that as the season goes on so there be more boilies going in.
The thing is with bait there so much out there and so many different flavours types and all claim to be the best bait remember its what you feel confident in they will all catch you fish you just have to stick with it and keep it going in.    

                                 
                                                     My biggest pike so far about 6lb

                                      It's not just carp I've been fishing for.......

I have been trying so hard to catch a 4lb perch or a bigger one than my personal best from a natural untapped venue and I have caught a couple of  good size perch but not the monster I'm after, also jack pike are a problem there are loads and just scare everything the only good coming from it is one being a PB.
For the predator fisherman in me, there is shed loads of baitfish, bleak, gudgeon,small roach which are easy to catch and store in my live bait well. I have caught perch on a dead bait which I have never done before, anytime I put a live bait on the pike smash it perch don't get a look in which can be really frustrating. I still enjoy my fishing so much, no matter how or what I'm fishing for, tiddler bashing which I am great at or trying to catch a specimen fish,  be it carp from a pond or river or a monster perch, pike or anything that's bigger than a pound in weight that a specimen to me. Blanking is a form of learning and by blanking means i'm learning then I am happy, I know I will catch I always do in the end. So until next time I wish you tight lines.
Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings...

Lee ( TheGudgeon )


Tweeter @ TheGudgeon
Instagram @ thegudgeon



No comments:

Post a Comment