Thursday 7 May 2015

River bream and AGM.

This was to be my last trip before the season closed so I thought get yourself down to mother Thames and have a go for the slabs, I'm fortunate to follow and be followed by some very good anglers on twitter and one of them is Tony curd and it was he who posted a picture of himself with a net full of Thames bream up to 9lb from a stretch just below kingston bridge. I know this as he was good enough to tell me where when and how he caught them So with it being the last weekend of the season it was going to get busy so I needed a plan and that was to get there at silly a clock and that's the one thing I'm good at getting there to early and not being able to see a thing.

Now I didn't fish in the same spot as Tony because I wasn't sure where to park so after a bit of homework on Google Earth and talking to my mate Andy (@awgheating1) I worked out that lower ham road in kingston just down from where Tony was fishing and it's free parking and there was a famous peg that I didn't know about but I was just about to fish it. Bait wise was simple a good ground bait which was bait tech omen, hemp sweet corn and dead and live maggots tackle was my ever faithful Matt Hayes all rounder set up to the power feeder at 13ft my fox stratos fs7000 reel loaded with strong 8lb drennen feeder line 30g swimfeeder and a guru N gage hook link in 9lb breaking strain line with a smq1 size 12 hook great setup and very strong so no messing around on such a big river where there's lots of under water snags and a shelf just in front of me with all manner of rubbish and rocks.

My plan was hatched and I was up and out at just gone 4am, there's no traffic that time in the morning and I got to the section I was going to fish in pretty good time in fact it was still dark and I had no Idea where to fish what I mean by this is which swim as there are quite a few to chose from and i couldn't see a dam thing until another car pulled up and shone his lights in my direction which lit up everything. This guy jumps out of his car and headed towards me and said you fishing there without looking i said yes if you were here five minutes earlier and before i could finished my sentence he said if you would of got here five mins later i would of been in that peg because that the steps swim you'll catch lots in there if you know what you are doing, bingo i got the flyer!! Then his attitude change did you over take me on the way here? mate i drive a citroen c3 you drive a scooby, thats when he said to me that the peg i was in wasnt very good and the next one down was the better as he fish a match in the steps swim and didn't do very well hoping i would change my mind and move, i said to him ill take my chances in here and turned my back on him before i told him to get knotted, talk about a spoilt little boy throwing his toys out the pram because he couldn't fish the swim i was in now i just hope i catch or i'm going to look like a right plonker.

so after getting my chair and tackle sorted out and got myself comfortable i thought i'd done a pretty good job as it was only starting to get light. Once i was sitting in my chair getting ready for the first cast i need to be halfway across to be in with a good chance to catch which isn't a great distance so I was comfortable with that and as long as I got the swim feeder in and around the same spot I would catch.
If you want a big net of bream you are going to have to put the bait and time and effort in but you will be rewarded,for this session I'm just going to swing the feeder out and refill every 3 min and get a bit off bait in there nab a couple Which is what happened straight away cast the rod out sunk the line put the rod in the rest and bosh the tip just swung round and the first bream of the day Was dragged kicking and screaming into the landing net and that's how it went on until 2pm almost on the dot  the fella that said the next swim down was better weren't happy as every time I caught a fish I let him know about it.
A net full of Thames bream
Now these Thames bream are a different bred to their still water cousin  they actually fight back and use the flow to their advantage which makes for really exciting bream fishing. Now I know these fish go upto and over 9lb and that's a big slab so it would be nice to set my stall out to see if I can get a double figure snotty. It's not impossible I will just have to do my homework and have a plan before I start So that was my last session right at the end of the season.
.
The best magazine out there
I've been a Perchfisher for just over a year now and I've not done anything with the group no fish ins couldn't go to the last AGM so this year I'm going to make the effort and that's exactly what I did I'm going to make what I thought was the long drive up to Haversham which is just north of Milton Keynes but only an hour and forty five minutes later and I'm sitting outside the gate waiting to be let in it is 7am and the gate didn't open until 8 lol, well it's better to be early than late. Paul Howkins who is the chairman of the group let me in just before 8 and we had a good chat to find out the best places to fish.

My home for the weekend
To cut a long story short I blanked but I did help another fellow member land a two 2lb perch from my swim lol, so all was not lost it was just great being around other people and talking fishing and i really enjoyed myself let's hope I can catch one next time year thank you for all your help Paul see you soon!!!!


I drew a blank
So that's it another post  but just before I go I did have another trip to framfield park caught a couple of pound and a half perch but the surprise was at the end when I struck into something very different and after a spirited fight I landed a 4lb 1oz eel the biggest one I've ever seen but the bad news is after taking a photo or two I stumbled and drop my phone in the water I did get it back but it's not working so a trip to the apple shop is in store hoping they can retrieve my photos so hopefully I can put some pictures up in the next post. It's not easy being me so until next time tight lines....


TheGudgeon
INSTAGRAM:- @thegudgeon


No comments:

Post a Comment